Cause determined in fire that destroyed Niles house

By: NewsCenter 16 Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Email

Niles An investigation into a devastating house fire last week has revealed it all started with a wood stove. That's according to our reporting partners at the Herald-Palladium.

The blaze on 17th St. in Niles destroyed the residence on Thursday.

Don Hodges was inside the home, but escaped unharmed. He says he smelled smoke and saw fire come out of the basement, near the back of the home. A neighbor called 911.

Hodges could then only watch the smoke and fire spread through his home of 30 years, as three fire departments battled the blaze for hours.


WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239817481 - wndu.com/a?a=239817481