Elise Kunkel joined us on 16 Morning News from Martin's Supermarkets with some creative lunchbox ideas for your kids as they head back to school.
Yogurt with granola & maple syrup
Kale Chips (found in Martin’s Produce Market at select locations)
- 1 large prepared pancake (made from your favorite mix or store-bought)
- 2 small prepared pancakes
- 1 banana
- Almond/peanut/sunflower butter OR Cream cheese
- Cut large pancake in half.
- Spread nut butter OR cream cheese over one layer one of the pancake pieces.
- Slice banana and place on top of other pancake piece.
- Put both pieces together to make a sandwich!
- Use mini pancakes by themselves as something to munch, or make another mini sandwich.
Krazy Sandwich Kabobs
Yocakes (found in Martin’s Bake Shoppe)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Cooking spray or olive oil, to drizzle
- 2 Tbsp (or to your taste) your favorite powdered seasoning mix (I used S.A.L.T Sisters Mojo from Martin’s Deli)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss chickpeas with a quick spray of cooking spray or 1 tsp of olive oil. Pour seasoning over the top and toss to mix.
- Lay evenly on a parchment-covered baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- Stir every 15 minutes to make sure chickpeas don’t burn and are cooking evenly.
- Check for doneness. Chickpeas should be crunchy and not soft at all. Roast in 5 minute intervals until correct texture is achieved.
- Taste chickpeas and if more flavor is needed, toss again in seasoning while still hot so the seasoning will stick to the chickpea.
- Cool and eat like peanuts!
Thai Curry Chicken Salad Pita Pocket (NEW-available in Martin’s Deli!)
“Cookie Dough” Bites
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie “Dough”
(Makes 36 Cookie Dough Bites)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup peanut butter, nut butter or sun butter
- 2/3 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine ingredients and roll into balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from sheet and place in a freezer bag.
- Take out of the freezer in the morning and they will be thawed and ready to eat just in time for lunch!
Seasoned Kale Chips
- 1 bunch fresh Kale
- 1 Tbsp seasonings of choice (I used S.A.L.T. Sisters Mojo Seasoning found in Martin's Deli)
- Cooking spray or 1Tbsp olive oil
- Pull kale leaves off stalks, rinse and dry.
- Combine in mixing bowl with seasonings and spray cooking spray or drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Toss ingredients and spread evenly over a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 25 minutes, gently rotating kale around sheet halfway through.
- Store covered at room temperature on top of a light layer of uncooked rice. The rice will help absorb excess moisture and keep the kale dry and crispy.
Martin's Supermarkets has a Michigan Foodie Tour coming up on Aug. 23 and Sept. 13. There are still openings available. To learn more, click on the Big Red Bar.