UPDATE: Man hospitalized after three-hour standoff with police

A St. Joseph County man is in stable condition after shooting himself twice in the chest and being involved in a nearly three-hour standoff with police.

Residential standoff in the 63,700 block of U.S. 31 South

A St. Joseph County man is in stable condition after shooting himself twice in the chest and being involved in a nearly three-hour standoff with police.

Around 6:30 p.m. Monday, police received a 911 call asking them to check on a man who was threatening to kill himself. Officers arrived at the home of Michael Carrico, 66, in the 63,000 block of U.S. 31 South, just north of Lakeville.

Police found Carrico in his detached garage with all of the windows shut and his pickup truck running. They could see him holding a long gun through the windows.

NewsCenter 16 heard authorities on a bull horn saying, “Come out of the house.”

Officers surrounded the garage, the St. Joseph County Metro SWAT team was activated and U.S. 31 was shut down for nearly three hours. The Clay Twp. fire mobile command center arrived at the residence around 8:30 p.m.

Police managed to break a window and crack open a rear door to ventilate the structure.

"The negotiator was just calling his name saying look you've done nothing wrong. We're here to help you, just please stand-up, show us your hands and talk to us," said Sheriff Mike Grzegorek of the St. Joseph County Police Department.

Police say the man is a veteran who recently stayed at a Veteran's Administration hospital and was struggling with depression.

Multiple command units with high-tech tools were on scene to assist in talking the man down.

"We were going to try and talk him out. It never got to that point where he'd even get close enough to the window where we could hear him or talk him out on his own," said Grzegorek.

One negotiator knew the man personally, and that seemed to be beneficial during the negotiation.

When SWAT members managed to get inside, they found the man sitting in a chair and wrapped in a blanket near his truck's muffler. He
had two self-inflicted gunshot wounds to his upper left chest.

Carrico was transported to Memorial Hospital Emergency Room.

No shots were fired by police, and no hostages were involved in the standoff Monday night.

At least 30 police officers responded to the incident on U.S. 31 South. Department included St. Joseph County, Lakeville, Mishawka, South Bend, and Indiana State Police.

A police officer was injured en route to the scene when his car struck several deer near the intersection of New Road and Redwood Road, just northwest of Potato Creek State Park. Cpl. Lonnie Foresman's car went into a ditch and came to rest in a field.

Foresman also was transported to Memorial Hospital where he was treated and released for neck, back and hip injuries sustained in the crash.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 195170041 - wndu.com/a?a=195170041
Gray Television, Inc.