A meth lab explosion is to blame for a man catching on fire

By: NewsCenter 16 Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Email

The status of a man is unknown Tuesday after he caught on fire around 8 p.m. Monday.

According to the Sturgis Police Department, they arrived with the Sturgis Fire Department to the 200 block of North Centerville for a report of a man who was on fire.

When they arrived, E.M.S. located a 53-year-old man who had severe 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his body. The man was transported to Sturgis Hospital and then airlifted to Bronson Hospital.

An investigation determined a meth lab had exploded in the basement of the home while he was holding it, causing him to catch on fire. There was a second subject there during the event but left before E.M.S. arrived.

The case will be given to the prosecutor’s office for review.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234223731 - wndu.com/a?a=234223731
Gray Television, Inc.