Three Warsaw families are homeless Sunday night after a fire burns down an apartment complex and storage unit.
The blaze broke out early in the morning.
By the time firefighters got to the scene, it was well underway.
Steve Coffman woke up to a loud noise and fire raging across the street from his house. “At one point the entire building was engulfed in flames,” he says.
Around 6:30 AM, fire departments were called out to an apartment complex and storage unit three miles south of Warsaw.
With strong winds firefighters could not control the blaze, and the building is a complete loss. Property owner Art Gakstatter says, “When they left Warsaw they could see the red ball and it wasn't quite daylight.”
So, now three families are without homes.
William Smith’s family was displaced by the fire. He explains, “Everybody has gone to the Red Cross or wherever they can go to get a place for the night.”
The owner of the property, Art Gakstatter, had 23 antique cars and boats stored in the building, including an old Studebaker. “I hoped that it was a nightmare, but I woke up, and everything would be fine because there is stuff. Well, I have had cars there that bought not new bought collector car 69 1970 or so. I had to see it go down the tubes,” he tells us.
One woman suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation.
Luckily the rest of the tenants got out safely after hearing the smoke detectors go off. “It’s real devastating. I'm just glad my grandkids weren't home, and all the other kids in the apartment got out,” William says.
“Again, nobody was hurt positive side and we'll survive,” Art reflects. “Life is tough sometimes, but it could have been worse.”
Some of the tenants are either staying with family members, or at hotel provided by the Red Cross.