Local Boy Sick After Eating Peanut Butter

By: Marcie Kobriger Email
By: Marcie Kobriger Email

Four-year-old Chase Middleton of Niles is recovering Friday night, after getting salmonella poisoning, apparently from a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter.

Chase is jumping for joy now, but just earlier this week he wasn’t feeling so hot.

He says one thing is to blame. “It’s from this peanut butter! It made my tummy hurt.”

Mindy Middleton missed work to stay home with her son Tuesday.
Her boss called her, and asked if chase had been eating Peter Pan peanut butter.

It was then Mindy found out she had been feeding her children the contaminated spread.

Thursday night, the boy’s symptoms got worse. “He was holding his stomach, really bad cramps, he was running a low grade fever, and then I took him to the emergency room,” she says.

After asking a few questions, doctors at the emergency room confirmed chase had a bad case of salmonella poisoning. “Diagnosis in the emergency department is fairly uncommon,” says Dr. Michael Westfall of Lakeland Hospital in Niles. “Four years old is a fragile age, you still want to make doubly sure that they're doing okay before you send them home.”

Chase was able to go home Thursday night.

His mom, dad and three sisters are making sure he has everything he needs, including Valentines treats.

Doctors say he will fully recover from the infection.
But the Middletons say they do not know if the Peter Pan name will recover its good standing in their house. “Now I’m afraid to even let them eat peanut butter. I thought peanut butter would be something safe for the kids to eat, and now I just don’t know,” Mindy says.

“I’m just eating jelly now, and bread. Don’t buy anymore peanut butter,” Chase insists.

Chase's infection is certainly not an isolated case.

A Seattle based attorney, William Marler filed a lawsuit against Con Agra, the maker of the contaminated peanut butter today.

He claims the outbreak has sickened nearly 300 people 39 states since august.
According to the FDA, all Peter Pan peanut butter purchased since May of 2006 may be affected the salmonella outbreak.

August of 2006 year is the first case the FDA was able to trace back to the peanut butter.

If you have Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter with 2111 stamped on the top, you can get a refund.

Just bring the lid to the store or mail it to:
ConAgra Foods
P.O. Box 3768
Omaha, NE 68103

Make sure to send your own name and address, also.


WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 5907866