The government is taking steps to make all jewelry safer for children after a small boy died from lead-poisoning.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission voted unanimously to move forward on banning jewelry that contains lead.
The ban would affect any jewelry that has more than .6 percent lead by weight.
The move comes after a Minnesota boy swallowed a charm pendant last March and died of lead poisoning.
Banning the jewelry will give the CPSC the means to fine manufactures that do not follow the regulations.