A Fire broke out at South Bend’s Memorial Hospital Friday night.
Authorities tell us a cigarette is to blame for a fire that started just before 7:30 PM in the hospital's basement.
The blaze reportedly started in a mechanical room.
Authorities say a discarded cigarette caused tarps to catch fire that sending lots of smoke into the halls of the hospital.
"No one was in any danger at any time, which is something we are extremely thankful for. The firefighters as you can tell contained it pretty quickly. What we understand, it was a mechanical room, on the east side of the building and electrical box caught fire,” explains Chris Bowman, Memorial Hospital Spokesperson.
State Road 933, which runs in front of the hospital, was closed for more than an hour as firefighters battled the blaze; it later re-opened around 9 PM.
No patient was in danger and the hospital did not have to be evacuated.
Firefighters tell us the blaze was contained to that one mechanical room.