Carbon Monoxide Sends 11 People to Hospital

A carbon monoxide leak at a South Bend hotel sent two guests to the hospital Tuesday night and another nine people Wednesday.

The investigation into the problem continues at the Super 8 Hotel on Ameritech Drive.

Fire department medics were first called to the scene Tuesday night after two guests felt sick; both were transported to an area hospital.

The department returned for a follow up investigation Wednesday and found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide, especially near a maintenance area.

As a result, six hotel workers, one guest and two firefighters were sent to the hospital.

“We found now that there was definitely a carbon monoxide rating the moment NIPSCO got here. Our firefighters stayed in a little bit longer then they should have,” explains South Bend Fire Chief Luther Taylor. “They did open the windows up to allow as much of it to get out, but not knowing what was going on, I’m not certain if they did that immediately or not.”

On Thursday Super 8 called NewsCenter 16. They tell us NIPSCO has found the source of the exhaust problem in the pool room at the hotel.

The pool area remains closed Thursday, but the rest of the hotel is reopen.

The hotel hopes to have the pool problem fixed by the end of Thursday, but it could take a little longer.


WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 4778851 - wndu.com/a?a=4778851