Chimney fire damages South Bend house

A recent chimney fire in South Bend serves a reminder that before you fire up your fireplace you may need to have yours cleaned.

Around 8-30 Saturday morning South Bend firefighters were called out to a house on Oak Park Drive.

They say a fire started when bird nests buried in between the chimney and the house eventually caught on fire.

The homeowner, Diana Wassenhove, says she had been getting her chimney cleaned regularly.

Experts say it's best to get your chimney swept about every two years.

“If you have birds making nests up there they are bringing things in and they are dropping it in there and trying to get out of the cold and make a nest and that's what caught on fire,” says Wassenhove.

If you don't know if your chimney needs to be cleaned, Jim Rekos from Chimney's Plus, says to take a flash light and see how much ash has built up.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 11795361 - wndu.com/a?a=11795361
Gray Television, Inc.