Family left homeless after fire

A single mother with five daughters is now homeless after a fire destroys her house.

The fire broke out Friday night on Meadow Lane on South Bend's west side.

The mother, Carla Prince, says she lit an incense stick when the fire quickly spread.

The family can stay at local hotel until Sunday thanks to the red cross.

The mother says they will need shelter, food, and clothing after that.

“I lit a candle. I do it all the time. I was in the room the kids. I went to kiss everybody and we were just laughing.. and I looked over and I don’t know if it was on instinct or what I don't know and I turned and my whole room was on fire,” says Carla Prince.

The mother also ran a babysitting business out of her home.

If you would like to help the Red Cross is in charge of taking donations, and you can reach them at 574-234-0191.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 10131616 - wndu.com/a?a=10131616