Purdue extension educator Edie Sutton has more great ideas to cut your grocery bill with some smart shopping tips and recipe ideas.
Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole
- Yield: Serves about eight.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 cups left over dressing
- 1 cup cooked diced turkey meat
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan over low heat. Brown onion in the butter.
- Add and stir flour in butter.
- Slowly stir in evaporated milk and water, then season with salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and sage.
- Place the turkey in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the turkey, then sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over cheese. Top mashed potatoes with the stuffing.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Yield: Makes about 12 cups
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 (35 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup chicken or turkey stock
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups shredded, cooked turkey meat
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion, sour cream for optional garnish
- In a large, 8-quart, thick bottom pot, cook the onion and green pepper over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for a minute or two more.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, beans, oregano, salt, pepper and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for an hour.
- Salt to taste. Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of sugar to take the edge of the acidity of the tomatoes if desired.
Leftover Turkey SoupIngredients
- 2 quarts chicken broth or water
- 1 turkey carcass, all meat removed
- 1 onion, halved, plus 1 onion minced
- 1 carrot, halved lengthwise, plus 1 carrot, minced
- 1 whole stalk celery, plus 1 more stalk, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked turkey meat cut into pieces no larger than the size of a soup spoon
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups leftover cooked Thanksgiving side vegetables, diced (Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn)
- Put chicken broth or water, turkey carcass, onion halves, carrot halves, 1 stalk celery, and 1 bay leaf in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 1 ½ hours.
- Before straining the broth, remove large bones and carcass with tongs. Strain broth through a sieve or colander. Discard the solids. You can store the broth in the refrigerator overnight.
- In a large soup pot, heat garlic cloves in the olive oil. Allow to brown slightly and add minced carrots, celery and onion.
- Cook over medium-low heat until softened, about 7 or 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add turkey broth and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a simmer. When simmering, add meat and all the diced vegetables, except sweet potatoes. Bring it back up to a simmer.
- Finally, add the sweet potatoes to the center and gently push them down. Turn the heat off and cover.
- Allow to sit and steam for 5 to 7 minutes.
Baked Lemon Chicken
- Serving Size: 2 pieces
- Yield: 5 servings
- Time: 30 minutes
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken - skinned and cut into 10 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 thinly sliced cloves of garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon sliced into 10 slices, seeds removed
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme.
- Lay chicken pieces into a 11x13 baking pan. Sprinkle seasonings over chicken.
- Combine onions, stock, and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Heat to a boil.
- Pour hot lemon mixture around chicken. Top each chicken piece with a lemon slice.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown and juices are clear colored.
- Per Recipe: $ 4.90
- Per Serving: $ 0.98
Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Yield: 4 servings
- Time: 30
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons frozen corn
- 1 Tablespoon 1% milk
- 2 Tablespoons diced green peppers
- 1/4 cup minced onions
- 1 Tablespoon diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 4 - 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup canned salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the eggs, corn, milk, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, mustard, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and salt for 1 minute until eggs are smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into a lightly oiled 9x9x2 inch baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until eggs are set and thoroughly cooked.
- Wrap tortillas in plastic and microwave for 20 seconds until warm. Be careful when unwrapping the tortillas. The steam can be hot.
- Cut baked egg mixture into 4 equal pieces and roll 1 piece of cooked egg in each tortilla.
- Serve each burrito topped with 2 Tablespoons of salsa.
- Per Recipe: $ 1.33
- Per Serving: $ 0.33
Manly Muffin Meat Loaf
- Serving Size: 2 muffins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (any variety)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin cups.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until temperature in center of meat loaf is 160 degrees.
- Cool slightly before removing from muffin cups.
- Notes: Combine meat loaf ingredients until well mixed, but don't over mix; too much mixing can make a meat loaf tough.
- Safety Tip: Cook your meat loaves to 160 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to test the temperature. You will know that your loaves will be completely and safely cooked without being dried out from overheating.
- Per Recipe: $ 3.56
- Per Serving: $ 0.59
Skillet Noodles and Beef
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Yield: 8 servings
- Time: 30
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 3 cups noodles, uncooked, 1/2 inch wide
- 1 package (10 ounce) spinach, frozen, chopped
- 1 cup cottage cheese, nonfat
- 1/2 cup cheese, part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Drain and rinse to remove fat.
- Add onion, tomato sauce, water, and spices. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add noodles. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Defrost spinach in the microwave. Stir spinach into skillet mixture. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir mixture. Spoon cottage cheese on top and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add water if mixture gets too dry.
- Per Recipe: $ 4.92
- Per Serving: $ 0.61